Out of State Teachers

Get on Board to Teach in Washington

Out-of-State Teachers

Do you hold a teaching certificate from another state? Would you like to move to Washington and continue teaching? It may not be as difficult as you think to obtain your Washington State certificate!

Washington State recognizes the teacher preparation programs of regionally accredited colleges in any of the other 49 states, Puerto Rico, and Guam. If you have earned a bachelor's degree and completed an approved college/university teacher education program at a regionally accredited college or university, you can apply for a Washington State teaching certificate.

The Washington Educator Skills Test-Basic (WEST-B) is now required of all applicants to Washington-approved teacher preparation programs and persons from out of state applying for a Washington State residency teaching certificate. The basic skills areas included in the assessment are reading, mathematics, and writing.

Application Process

Ready to apply for your Washington State teaching certificate?

Contact the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) for application materials and instructions. Go to the OSPI Certification website, which includes downloadable materials. You can also e-mail or call (360) 725-6400 with questions.

Application materials are also available from your local Educational Service District.