Gator Sports roundup
Green River Track closes the season in style
The Green River men's track team peaked at the right time of the season saving their best performances for the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges Championship meet.
Sophomore sprinter Devonte Woods earned All-American honors with his first place finish in the Men's 200-meter. In exciting fashion his time of 21.99 seconds edged his closest competitor by just .03.
Other notable track performances included:
- Men's 110 high hurdle and Long Jump events - Freshman Jaron Heck scored points with two fourth-place finishes in both events.
- Men's 10,000 - Freshman Manuel Cintron finished in fifth place with a time of 35:03.
- Women's 100 - Freshman Shelia Piper scored points with her sixth-place finish of 12.67.
Softball, Baseball and Golf All-League honors
Several Green River student athletes earned recognition for their performance on the field during the 2014 spring season. Here is a list of the spring honorees:
- First Team All-West Softball Aris Califano (FR, Centerfield, Renton, WA)
- Second Team All-West Softball Kenicia McClellan (SO, First Base, Enumclaw, WA)
- Second Team All-West Softball Rachel Barcena (FR, Pitcher, Lakewood, WA)
- Second Team All-West Baseball Blake Collins (SO, Catcher, Kamiak, WA)
- Second Team All-NWAACC Golf Jennifer Puckett (SO, Kent, WA)
Tim Malroy hired by Evergreen State to lead Men's Basketball program
After 10 seasons for Green River Community College, Head Men's Basketball Coach Tim Malroy will be stepping down to take on the same position at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA, a four-year institution.
All-NWAACC Academic All-Stars
The following Green River Gators were honored by the NWAACC for their strong performances over two years in the classroom:
- Men's Track Matt Fomich
- Women's Track Oksana Carlson
- Softball Destiny McDonald
- Baseball Blake Collins
- Women's Golf Jennifer Puckett